jueves, 17 de marzo de 2011

Boston

This post  is a little overdue, but hey, better late than never, right?

My trip to Boston was very spontaneous and undertaken with very little preparation. With only a few days between my idea to go, my decision to go, and my departure date I couldn't find anyone to venture back to continental USA with me, so Boston was a solo adventure. 

The trip began as so many do, with a missed train to Manhattan, begging the guy at the bus terminal (more like street corner) to let me take a later bus since I obviously missed the one I planned on, and an hour wait in line. Yet it all worked out and 5 hours after leaving the terminal I got off the bus at South Station in Boston. The first thing that struck me was the cold. Now, having just survived the infamous New York January I thought I was more than equipped to handle a long weekend in Boston. Unfortunately, I didn't' account for the vicious wind in that little city. But I managed with my inadequate clothing, hopped on the subway and found my way to the apartment of some strangers where I was staying.



First stop - Harvard Square. Filled with bookstores and coffee shops, Harvard Square is a perfect way to end a long day of traveling for a nerd like me. I had dinner at some historical burger joint whose name I can't remember, but with a cash-only policy I ended up dining on cheese fries for dinner and walking home in the rain. At least the fries came out at lightning speed and were delicious. 

Day two - lots of stuff. I started out by walking the Freedom Trail. I didn't walk the entire trail, but I hit the highlights, starting at the Boston Commons and including a tour of the Old State House Museum ($6 for students), Faneuil  Hall, and lunch in the Quincy Marketplace. Since I had planned on that taking up my whole day, I was at a loss for what to do with the remaining half of my day. I found my way to the Theater District, made it just in time to buy a student rush ticket to see the Blue Man Group, killed an hour at Dunkin' Donuts (which are in Boston the way Starbucks is in NYC), and finally saw what I think must be the most entertaining show in the history of  creative shows. The music was fun, the stunts were ridiculously funny, and the dry humor kept the audience in a near-constant state of laughter. The only down side was that I left with banana mush on my jacket that I still can't manage to get off. The day ended with a great plate of pasta and a great glass of Chianti in Boston's Little Italy.



Day three - day three started at Northwestern University where I had an egg and cheese bagel. That wasn't part of the plan, but neither were half the things I ended up doing. My first stop after breakfast was the Museum of Fine Art, specifically their newly-opened Wing of the Americas. There was an incredible amount and variety of art, complete with the history of each piece and how it fit into the times  in which it was created. I walked through all the wings and saw art from every region of the world. After the museum it was back to the Theater District for Shear Madness - an interactive murder mystery/comedy. It didn't come close to the Blue Man Group, but for the half the price it was well worth it. Once again at a loss for what to do next, I asked around in some stores and following advice, I ended up walking along Newbury Street. Lined with upscale stores and old building, the street was certainly an interesting place, but I preferred the adjacent Commonwealth Avenue, which was lined with trees covered in Christmas lights. The site was beautiful as dusk set in. Ready to go home after about 10 hours of walking, I got back on the subway. Of course, even that didn't go according to plan. I heard someone say something about the Prudential Building and thought, why not? So I got off at the Prudential stop and treated myself to desert and wine at the top of the building, which provided a beautiful view of the city.



Each of these places and shows really deserves an entire post of its own, but honestly I'm just not that motivated so this quick summary will have to due. Suffice it to say that Boston is a great city for a weekend trip. There's no lack of things to do, and the city is relatively small. I walked the entire length in one day, so a tourist can easily hit all the highlights, and even some not-so-highlighted places, with just one or two full days. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario