jueves, 30 de diciembre de 2010

Lake Louisa State Park, Florida

Lake Louisa State Park is mere 30 minutes from Orlando. I had no idea such an exquisite place could possibly exist so close to a cement city filled with ridiculous wizard-shaped gift shops. This park encompassed all the breath-taking beauty of untouched nature, yet it is well-maintained and comfortable. The park contained three lakes, but I really only saw two. A short, winding drive through central Florida’s hills brought us to the beach of Lake Louisa. Believe it or not, this lake actually had a white-sand beach alongside a small forest. Little pathways allow travelers to explore the natural beauty of Lake Louisa and its surroundings. We bundled up, had a little picnic and departed to warmer grounds.

We made our way to our cabin, which was positioned on a little hill and overlooked the immaculate Lake Dixie. The cabin had two big bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and a living room equipped with an electric fireplace. My personal favorite part was the wrap-around porch with 3 rocking chairs and a picnic table. Sitting on the balcony, I took in the tranquil scene before me. There were about 500 feet of brush between the cabin and the lake. Spanish moss-draped trees lined the lake, giving it a majestic look and feel. The chilly air made it feel like I was far from Florida. I took a little walk down to the lake just as the sun was setting. A few evening birdsongs accompanied me as I strolled along and snapped pictures. The sky slowly evolved from blue, to red, to orange and faded to grey as the sun disappeared below the line of trees in the distance.  One thing I love about winter, I managed to walk along a lake at sunset and escape without a single mosquito bite.

Aside from its innate beauty, Lake Louisa State Park has a lot to offer. They have canoe rentals, all kinds of walking trails, a beach, and a campground. I walked around Lake Dixie, which is about 2 miles. The scenery changed several times in that short distance and I took advantage of several overlooks. I finished my short hike with pictures of scores of lily pads gathered near the lake’s shore, of an armadillo absent-mindedly searching for food, of oranges growing in the groves planted along the road, of dangerous spike-bearing vines reaching out to capture an unsuspecting passerby, and many other unique sights. Of all the places I’ve seen in Florida, this is by far my favorite. So close to home, yet with the feel of a Virginia getaway, Lake Louisa State Park offers the calm serenity that’s worth the trip, even if you’re not a local.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario