sábado, 20 de noviembre de 2010

Roma Caffe

Dear loyal readers (or should I say "reader"?). I must apologize because this will be my first post without a picture. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say, so I am sorry to deprive you of the usual visual addition. I hope my words will suffice. So, why no picture, you ask. There's no picture because I didn't expect a cup of coffee with a couple friends to be a blog-worthy experience. From now on, my camera will become a permanent fixture in my purse to avoid the repetition of this unfortunate tragedy.

We noticed this little cafe on the corner, called Roma Caffe, and decided to make a point to try it out. We went last night with a couple friends to the new restaurant. The owner talked to us for a bit and told us that it's only been open for about 4 months. I would describe it as being 70% coffee house and 30% bar. It was nice mix that made for a fun yet relaxed environment, and without the kinks that you'd expect from such a new place.

The waiter showed us to our table, which was front and center and right next to the band. The big windows, asymmetric place mats, and partially stone interior gave the feel of an artsy, uptown bar while providing a view of the city's center. With a menu offering Italian appetizers, meals, and deserts, a full bar, and a variety of coffees and teas, everyone can find something that tickles their fancy. I chose a mint tea to combat the night's chill. It not only kept me warm and happy, but covered my taste buds with the refreshing flavor. For me, the best part of the ambiance was the band. Live jazz music filled the room with a upbeat and cheery energy. The band consisted of a keyboard, a base guitar, an electric guitar, a saxophone, and a tiny drum set. The group of 20-somethings skillfully worked their respective instruments and played a variety of styles, holding the interest of their audience.

The room itself also contributed nicely to the atmosphere. The bar was built with hard lines and boxes, creating a very sleek look and modern feel. The dining area had softer lines and splashes of brick and natural stone designs, giving a more inviting and comfortable feel. The dining area's deep red and slate grey paint subtly incorporated the bar's modern look into the dining room to create a smooth transition between the two areas. The black and white prints and the colored lanterns worked with everything else to create a very unique cafe/bar.

This little gem of a place was a nice surprise in a city that has more reggaeton bars than anything else. I have yet to find another place here with a similar environment and feel. I give Roma Caffe a thumbs up and a permanent place on my weekly to-do list.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario