domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

LIGA!! A Live Soccer Game

I finally had the opportunity to go to a live soccer game! I've been wanting to go to one since I studied abroad in Panama back in January 2009. It turned out to be everything I wanted and more.

First things first. We arrived at the stadium two hours early to get a good seat. Tickets, by the way, were only $10 each and this was a semi final game. The streets were impassable for cars and overflowing with excited fans dressed in red. We were searched and made to give up any beer and coins (apparently they're a danger) before we could enter the stadium. Our section was packed and the only seats available were in the front row. I still don't quite understand how the front-row seats are the less desirable ones, but it worked out perfectly for us. The team's band set up about 20 feet from us so we were literally at the center of the energy. I'm not a big fan of soccer, but I spent the whole 90 minutes attentively watching and cheering along with the most devout followers.

In Costa Rica, soccer teams have an element that I don't think our teams have in the US. They have what we might call "official fans". There were thousands of them at this particular game. They have their own section and several tremendous flags. They spend every second of the game, halftime included, jumping, singing, and cheering on their team. They call themselves "La Doce", which means "The Twelve" and is a comparison to the 12th player on the team who goes to every game just to cheer. La Doce, the band, and all the cheers from a stadium of 18 thousands fans created an atmosphere of unbelievable energy and excitement. It was like the stadium was filled with an electrical charge that constantly flowed through us all. Every pass, every block, every foul was another jolt of power in our veins. Every man, woman, and child spent the game on their feet with their eyes glued to the field and their hearts full of anticipation. In the end, our team didn't let us down. They shut out the opposition with a 3-0 victory :). I think this game might have converted me into a soccer fan. I bought my first soccer shirt as I left the stadium as a memento of my first game and its effect on me.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario