jueves, 7 de octubre de 2010

Flashback

I will use my very first posting to share a quick summary of a few of my adventures thus far. When I was in college I started deviating a bit from the "normal" path that most people take. During my 3 years in college I didn't drink, do drugs or party, so you already know that I didn't have the typical college experience. For me, college was pretty much a waste of time except for one thing. During college I had my first experiences with serious traveling. I studied abroad twice, took multiple vacations back to those countries, and began to take advantage of the destinations closer to home. Those are the experiences to which I will dedicate this post.

Study Abroad #1: Costa Rica


The summer between my first and second year in college I partook in a 6-week program in San Jose, Costa Rica. I loved the program for two reasons. The first was that we traveled all over the country with the group so I didn't have to worry about making my way through a foreign country alone. We went white-water rafting on the Pacuare river, which was an experience I would recommend to any adventurous person. It was exhilarating excitement. There was a perfect combination of adrenaline, fear, and discomfort due to the freezing water and tight life vest to make anyone forget everything and immerse themselves in the moment. We to an active volcano, called Arenal, where we could see tiny dots of red lava tumbling down the volcano's side at night. We went to a rain forest whose name I unfortunately cannot remember (like I said, worthless memory). Surrounded by noisy and colorful bugs, we introduced ourselves to the forest by singing our names before entering. We then walked the dirt path for hours examining all the wildlife around us. If memory serves (which it likely does not), Costa Rica as .01% of the Earth's landmass but 4% of its biodiversity. That is definitely something to take advantage of if venturing to this little Central American country. We also went to Samara beach, where there is never a lack off things to do. We rented kayaks one day and went horseback riding the next. Now, this is not USA horseback riding. We paid about $10 each, our guide was 8 years old, and after 15 minutes he left us. So there we were, 4 of us just trotting along the beach, trying to avoid sunbathers, with no cares in the world.  Those are the only specific places I remember, but I know I'm missing at least one because I know we went ziplining somewhere as well. This is the second activity that I would recommend to any visitor. You feel like you're flying, you feel like you're sure to die, then you land and can't wait for the next zip. It all happens so fast that you can't get enough of it.
The other thing I loved about the program was that we lived with a host family. I really learned much more about the culture than I ever could have otherwise. We had big family breakfasts every morning and just sat and talked. It was a wonderful way to start the day. My host family introduced me to their friends and we lived like real Costa Ricans. It was a great opportunity to learn about the country from a non-tourist perspective which is always something I seek.


Trips Back to Costa Rica:

While in Costa Rica I met a guy with whom I became very close. Soon it was love and I was back on a plane to see him. I traveled back many times until I graduated. We went all over the country together during these trips. Dominical beach on the south Pacific has been one of our favorite destinations. There's a little hotel there called Tortilla Flats where we always stay. It's super cheap, full of bugs, and has an ocean view from every window. One time from that beach we took a 2-hour boat ride to and island called Isla del Cano. We spent the day snorkeling, eating traditional food, and playing with the dolphins on our return trip. It was one of my favorite trips so far. We went several times to the volcano Irazu. Now this is really a sight to see. You can walk pretty close to the crater, which is filled with a green liquid and gas. There's a little cafe where you can grab a hot chocolate, since it's pretty much always cold there. 

Study Abroad #2: Pamana 

Six months after my summer in Costa Rica I spent a term in Panama City, Panama. Here we lived in school-owned houses, but we still went on all kinds of trips with the program. One of my favorite was a trip to the San Blas islands. I must admit, the trip required to get there is a bit treacherous, but well worth it. We took a plane from the city to the coast, where we took another plane that could turn even the most seasoned flyer into a white-knuckled passenger, then we took a rickety wooden boat to the island where we spent the weekend. This hotel really added to the whole experience. It was made of logs so if you put your face right up against them you could see through the walls. The hotel was built right over the water so we could see and hear the water as we went to sleep. The days on the San Blas islands consisted of more rickety wooden boats, more gorgeous tropical islands, and hours of snorkeling. Another great trip was to some caves. They were full of water and in some places I was wading through water up to my shoulders. Bats flew past us, fishes brushed against us and who knows what else was there. The actual city part of the trip was great too, if you go to the right places. I avoided the bars, but sought out the artesian markets. There's a little place called Casco Viejo, which is a very old little corner with lots of great buildings, cafes, an old church, and some people who sell hand made crafts off a blanket on the grass. The Causeway was also a great place to have some fun. It stretched for over a mile with nothing but sidewalk. Then at the end there were all kinds of restaurants and shops. We found a place to rent a bicycle built for two (literally) and rode up and down the sidewalks. In the evenings it's filled with families and couples riding bikes, skating, walking holding hands, watching the sunset and just enjoying themselves. My four months in Panama were truly incredible.

Detour: Nicaragua

During my time in Panama my boyfriend and I took a week's vacation to Nicaragua. We went to the Corn Islands, which were really a great find. I'd never heard of them before the trip. They're two very small Caribbean islands. We stayed on Big Corn island for about $20 a night. The beach was nearly empty and was exactly the sight see on one of those "Wish You Were Here" postcards. We rented a golf cart and spent a day driving around the island. At night, we dined on fantastic $12 lobsters. The next day we took a boat ride to Little Corn island. It was too rough for snorkeling, so we walked around the island in search  of a nice beach for swimming. We walked and walked, did a little trespassing, and finally settled for a private beach. Hunger drove us back to the little town. Of course, being naive travelers we didn't bring any food, or even much money. We had $2 between the two of us, so we bought a bottle of water and a loaf of bread. Now, I don't have the words to describe the glory of that bread. It turned out to be delicious coconut bread (which turns out is a natural laxative). To our starving and parched bodies there wasn't a more perfect meal on Earth, and I discovered coconut bread. After the islands we went back to the main land and spent a day in Granada. We saw the house of William Walker, which is now a cheesy souvenir shop, and took a tour of an old building that seemed to have once been a castle. Or maybe it was just the house of some rich people. During dinner an old man approached us and sold us a hand made hammock for only $10. 

New Orleans:

Once I returned from my international travels, I decide to take more advantage of my local surrounding. I went for a long weekend with my family to New Orleans, which was my first trip to that city. I absolutely loved what I saw of the culture  there. There's nothing like walking through town and hearing live jazz music on every corner. Occasionally we stopped to watch the dancers. New Orleans is another place with a wealth of art. We saw all kinds of art available, from paintings, to carvings, to a little sketch on a 200-year-old roof tile. We took a ferry and listened to the history of the city and ate in some of the best restaurants in the country. New Orleans turned out to be a great place for a long weekend trip.

Atlanta:

A friend of mine had recently moved to Atlanta and since I'd never been there I thought it was a great opportunity to see a new place. I spent the first few hours mastering their public transportation system, then I met a friend at the CNN headquarters. Later, the friend I was visiting picked me up and we went home for the night. The next day we went to the famous Atlanta Aquarium, which was no disappointment. There was every kind of sea life I could imagine, as well as many types I would never have imagined were real. When we left, there were tanks and helicopters in an open field. It turned out to be some kind of military appreciation day so I got to check out some high-tech military gear up close and personal. Later on, we went to an Indian Pow Wow, saw some great dances from people of all ages, bought a few Native American relics, and thus concluded my weekend in Atlanta.

Saint Augustine:

Another trip to see a friend brought me to Saint Augustine, Florida. I learned that St. Augustine is the oldest consistently-inhabited city in North America. We drove past the fort, but didn't do the tourist bit, walked around downtown, took pictures with the live hand-painted hermit crabs, and spent some time at the beach. It was a short trip, but I fit in everything I wanted.

Graduation Gift to Myself: Costa Rica

After I graduated, I went home for a month, then packed up for Costa Rica. I applied to graduate schools but gave myself six months to enjoy my favorite little country with my boyfriend. That is from where I am currently writing this blog. Since I've been here I've gone to both Caribbean and Pacific beaches, to the Irazu, Poas, and Arenal volcanoes, I've gone to natural hot springs, and I've been ziplining. I'm living it up in fine style and with a budget of $500 per month. I took a job teaching high school English and my boyfriend and I spend our weekends either hanging out near home or traveling around our little country. Next post: our beach trip next weekend. See you then.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario